NFTs are digital assets representing real art in a virtual world. It can be photos, paintings, videos, music tracks, or other objects. NFTs are non-fungible tokens. Each token is unique due to the built-in smart contract and its value.
In 2022, one of the leading maturing drivers of the cryptocurrency market was the GameFi sector, which gets together blockchain games that function on the play-to-earn example. Nft game development opens up the opportunity of real gains not only for publishers but also for the gamers themselves – by achieving different assignments, they make digital assets, which they can subsequently withdraw and exchange on crypto exchanges.
5 Stages of NFT game development
The development process of NFT games varies from classic game development as they are made operating blockchain technology and integrated with famous crypto exchanges to control the domestic economy.
1. Forming the concept
First, the idea and general outlines of the future game project are formed. At this stage, it is essential to answer several key questions:
- The genre of NFT games: arcade, card, fighting, etc.
- What will graphics format be used – 2D or 3D?
- What will the characters be like?
- What audience of gamers is the project intended for?
- The main features of the scenario and gameplay.
2. Selection of blockchain
In NFT games, the blockchain ensures the transfer of in-game assets, the possibility of monetization, rewards storage, and users’ security. Therefore, it is essential to choose the most suitable network for implementing the project objectives.
3. Preparation for development
At the pre-production stage, nft marketplace development specialists determine how exactly the ideas generated at the planning stage will be implemented and what is the technical feasibility of their implementation, taking into account the proposed budget.
Most of the time and resources for implementing an NFT game fall on the production stage. During this process, all the main work is performed:
- Character models are created and animated.
- Audio design is formed, and voice acting is done.
- Game designers determine the difficulty and features of the levels to ensure maximum player engagement.
- Programmers write thousands of lines of code to keep a project running as planned.
- Using APIs, the game integrates with popular cryptocurrency exchanges to enable the quick purchase of in-game content and withdrawal of NFT tokens by players.
After the development is completed, the project is transferred to the Quality Assurance department, where it undergoes mandatory testing.
Launch and support
The release is the most exciting stage, after which the NFT game becomes available to a wide range of consumers and begins to bring real profit to the business. However, the technical work on the game does not stop there.
To ensure a positive user experience and maintain engagement, the game needs constant improvements – balance changes, creating new levels and characters, creating unique in-game events, etc.
At this stage, a limited number of users are invited to take part in testing a new game project. This helps developers identify and fix as many bugs as possible before announcing an official release.